How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118809
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I visit Canada for three years can I still receive my

Customer Question

I visit Canada for three years can I still receive my teachers retirement from la. In canada
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: From la. Retirement I want to stay in Toronto for three years
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Like what?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will my pension be automated deposits in a bank in Canada of my choice
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, you can continue to receive your pension payments from LA in Canada. However, you need to check with your plan administrator about direct deposit, because there is a currency conversion issue and many times they cannot send it direct deposit. In fact, most of the ex pats I know going to Canada with their US pensions will use an international bank like TD Bank, which has branches in Toronto as well, which would allow you to access your funds from your US account while you are in Canada.
If not, you would still be able to receive a paper check and then you would have to go to a Canadian bank and pay the $10 or so conversion fee for cashing a US check.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.