Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

My son was incarcerated in prison for about 2 yrs. When he

Customer Question

My son was incarcerated in prison for about 2 yrs. When he was released he was on probation for 2 more years. He "violated some curfew rules and was sent backto prison. This time when he is release he will have a parole officer. I do not understand the difference? Can someone explain this to us?
JA: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Yes, this is in Arizona And is futher complicated to us because the judge, after he was charged with probation violation, the judge gave him the choice of staying out of prison and being put on "intense probation" or going back to prison for a period of time and upon release he would be "done" so to speak. Now he is being released with a high status for good behavior but will still be on parole for a period of time. The reason he chose to go back to prison is because the probation before was so strict he did not feel confident that he would be successful with "intense probatio" so he finished "his debt to society", so why will he be on parole upon release which is in a week ? We thought that he chose to finish his sentence in prison so he would be toally free when released. We don't understand?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I did not get an answer?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing new that I know about...
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just to understand why he will be on parole?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

Probation and parole are two separate agencies. They are different, though they have in common the fact that their job is to ensure that an offender does not reoffend. They supervise the offender and have various requirements they impose in order to try to help the offender stay crime-free and constructively involved.

Probation is a sentence in lieu of jail. That is, if a probationer does everything right, he need not spend any time at all incarcerated. It's only if he violates the conditions of probation that he can get into trouble and face sanctions from the judge and possible jail time.

Parole deals with people who have been sentenced to jail and who already have served most of their sentence. The parole board decides if an inmate can be released before the end of his sentence date. If he can be released he's released "on parole" and is assigned to a parole officer who supervises him to keep him out of further trouble. If a parolee violates the terms of his parole, he can be sent back to prison to finish his sentence.

So the answer is that your son is being given a chance for an early release. If he does what's expected of him, he'll be fine. If not, he'll go back to prison and finish his sentence, but when he comes back out he will no longer be supervised.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.