How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One last question... hopefully... I obtained a copy of my

Customer Question

One last question... hopefully... I obtained a copy of my stipulated general judgment from the Mult. Co. Portland OR courthouse. It states that the co-petitioner's (me) former name is ***** ***** is the process to complete this, and is it something that I MUST do, or have OPTION to do. I hope to remarry sometime, and don't want to find out at that time that I didn't complete the divorce process. Thank you.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 8 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 8 months ago.

Normally, changing your name under the decree is your option. If you want to change it, you can use the court order and change it. If you don't want to change it, you keep your married name.

To change it, you would get a certified copy of your decree and take it to the social security administration and they would issue a new card. You can do the same to get a new Driver's License. From there, you can change other items as well (with either a copy of your decree or your new Id), such as credit cards, etc. That's all most people do. Does that make sense?