Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I was divorced in 1975. I think my law firm is no longer in

Customer Question

I was divorced in 1975. I think my law firm is no longer in practice. I want my file that was kept in their facility, somewhere. How can I find out where the file is and how can I obtain it?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey. The legal firm was in East Orange,, New Jersey.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not since 1975.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really.
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Unfortunately, law firms typically only have document retention policies where they keep client records for 7 to 10 years and then destroy them. So even if the firm was still in existence, they would have likely destroyed the records long ago.

.

With that said, you can check with the local Family Law court where the divorce was obtained and see if they might still have those records in written or electronic form. But after this long, even courts tend to purge records or they are moved to remote locations and lost.

.

But the local courthouse where you were divorced is your best bet for locating it at this point.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will appreciate your response.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have addressed all your questions, I would very much appreciate a positive rating by clicking on the stars, smiley faces, or numbers on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much