Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I am in New York, I attended a private university in

Customer Question

I am in New York, I attended a private university in Connecticut for one semester in 2002. I was under the impression my parents had paid the bill, however when I went to request my transcripts yesterday I found out they believe I owe them a balance of $12K. They said they sent it to collections and "took it back" in 2007. They didn't get a judgement against me (nothing on my credit report ever in the last 15 years). Is there anything they can do, at this point, 15 years later, legally, to collect this money, other than hold my transcripts?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: They didn't get a judgement against me (nothing on my credit report ever in the last 15 years)
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Since this was a private university and I am assuming that this is a tuition bill, then this would fall under the civil statute of limitations for breach of contract. In NY, that means that they have up to 6 years to bring an action for breach of contract and sue you. After that, they are out of luck.

.

So that debt would have expired sometime in 2008 and would now be unenforceable. The only thing that they can do now is refuse to give you your transcripts unless you paid them.

.

.

thanks