Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a friend who has been fixing her basement into an

Customer Question
apartment. She brought in a...
I have a friend who has been fixing her basement into an apartment. She brought in a man who was a plumber and he also brought her an electrician. I witness 3-4 times my friend asking how much is this going to cost, she sent text messages, the contractor kept putting her off, never getting back to her but kept working. Now he sends a bill, work is only about 1/2 finished for $4300 which is almost double of a couple other bids she had in writing. The bill he sent was a photo sent by messenger, no date, he has never sent any emails. What can she do in this situation.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing filed or reported. She lives with her 90yr old mother. This man is saying he is " Coming over tomorrow to see if the check is in the mail." She is scared, can't afford this huge bill. If she pays it she would have nothing left to finish her basement apartment.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The contractor NEVER gave her an estimate, no contract was ever signed
1/5/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this; was a total price ever agreed to for completing the entire project; or is $4300 the entire price and he is wanting it up front before completing the job?

Tina, Lawyer