LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I just received a non-compliance to jury duty notice. Is it

Customer Question

I just received a non-compliance to jury duty notice. Is it better to check the box that says I did not receive the summonses, or admit to the non-compliance?
JA: What city and state is this in?
Customer: Nassau County, New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

You always want to tell the truth. If you did not receive it, you can check that box in good faith. If you admit to it, then there is likely to be a hearing, upon which you would need to appear, to explain the situation, unless that option is provided as well. I have provided below, the rule for you to review, that outlines the process, when this happens, so you are informed and know what to expect, which can dictate, how you want to proceed.

Section 128.12 Failure to respond to questionnaire or summons; procedure for noncompliance.

(a) Inquiry. In exercising the powers set forth in section 502(d) of the Judiciary Law, the commissioner of jurors shall make inquiry of persons who do not respond to the juror qualification questionnaire or jury service summons to determine the reason for nonresponse and shall make reference to the power of a court to cite for contempt, or the power of the commissioner of jurors to bring a proceeding for noncompliance, pursuant to section 527 of the Judiciary Law.

(b) Commencement of noncompliance proceeding. The commissioner of jurors may bring a noncompliance proceeding against a person who fails to respond to the juror qualification questionnaire or summons to appear for jury service by serving upon such person, either personally or by first-class mail, a notice of noncompliance in a form prescribed by the Chief Administrator of the Courts. The form shall provide that a response to the commissioner of jurors shall be made within 20 days after the date of service of the notice of noncompliance and that the respondent must either admit noncompliance or request a hearing. After 20 days have elapsed from the date of service, the commissioner of jurors shall file with the Supreme Court a copy of the notice of noncompliance with proof of service and any response thereto. The court, or a judicial hearing officer designated pursuant to Part 122, shall review the material submitted and, where the person has failed to respond, or has admitted noncompliance, or has been found not in compliance after a hearing held pursuant to this section, may impose a penalty in accordance with section 527 of the Judiciary Law and shall issue an order fixing a date certain for jury service.

(c)

(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision (b) of this section, where a person has failed to respond and a default judgment is sought, an affidavit shall be submitted that additional notice has been given, at least 20 days before the entry of judgment, to the person who has failed to respond, by mailing a copy of the notice of noncompliance by first class mail to such person at his or her place of residence in an envelope bearing the legend "personal and confidential" and not indicating on the outside of the envelope that the communication is from a court, the commissioner of jurors or any other public officer or official. In the event such mailing is returned as undeliverable by the post office before entry of the default judgment, a copy of the notice of noncompliance then shall be mailed in the same manner to the person who has failed to respond at his or her place of employment, if known.

(2) The additional notice shall be mailed not less than 20 days after service of the notice of noncompliance pursuant to subdivision (b) of this section. An affidavit of mailing pursuant to this paragraph shall be executed by a person mailing the notice and shall be filed with the judgment.

(d) Hearing. Whenever a respondent served with a notice of noncompliance requests a hearing, the court or judicial hearing officer shall schedule such hearing and shall notify the respondent by mail at least 30 days in advance of the hearing date. The hearing shall be held before the court or the judicial hearing officer assigned to conduct the hearing, and the respondent may be represented by counsel. A finding of noncompliance shall be based upon a preponderance of the credible evidence presented. The charge of noncompliance may not be sustained if there is a finding of undue hardship or extreme inconvenience as set forth in section 517(c) of the Judiciary Law or for any other excuse based upon a good and sufficient cause. Rules of evidence shall not apply except those relating to privileged communications. Oral testimony shall be presented under oath. The court or judicial hearing officer may issue subpoenas to require the attendance at the hearing of persons to give testimony or to produce books, papers or other things relevant to the hearing. The court or judicial hearing officer shall cause a verbatim record of the hearing to be made by stenographic or mechanical means. If the charge is not sustained, the court or judicial hearing officer shall issue an order dismissing the charge, and shall fix a date certain for jury service by the respondent unless the respondent files an affidavit with the commissioner requesting postponement of or excusal from jury service in which case capacity for service then shall be determined by the commissioner pursuant to section 128.6-a of this Part.

(e) Penalty. All penalties imposed pursuant to this section shall be payable to the appropriate commissioner of jurors, who shall transmit such payments to the county clerk for transmittal to the State Commissioner of Taxation and Finance on a monthly basis no later than ten days after the last day of each month.

Historical Note
Sec. filed June 29, 1987; amds. filed: Oct. 31, 1988; May 4, 1992; Dec. 7, 1995 eff. Jan. 1, 1996. Amended (d).

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.