How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4194
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to get a divorce but I don't know where to

Customer Question

I would like to get a divorce but I don't know where to start
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Husband drinks everyday and becomes aggressive most of the times, he haven't hit me or my son but I'm affraid he might do any time
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 9 months ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You file for divorce in the County Court where you live. Most Counties have the forms that you need to file.

There are free forms that you can complete yourself and there are self help centers that can help you complete the forms.

Here is a link to the Dallas County forms so you can see what they look like. If you are in a different County check with your County Court:

If you are afraid that your husband will act badly you should seek help from a domestic violence center ASAP. They can help you get away and also help you with the divorce process:

See here:

Please for your safety and your son's safety do not stay in a dangerous situation.

Through the divorce process you will also be able to obtain child support, property distribution and perhaps alimony. These are more complicated issues and it would be good to have an attorney represent you if you expect any dispute with your husband. Often times you can get temporary support ordered by the Court in these situations.

Attorneys who do this work will meet with you to assess your situation at little or no cost. So please consider making a couple calls. This link can help you find an attorney:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,