Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18 Years bankruptcy experience. Member of the American Bankruptcy Institute.
15345323

I filed bankruptcy in Georgia and attended my hearing in Nov

Customer Question

Hi, I filed bankruptcy in Georgia and attended my hearing in Nov 2016. One of the creditors - a furniture company- had a citation issued in criminal court which I attended. I attempted to return the merchandise but the company representative would not accept it. I was told today I have to pay $4495.77 in restitution or go to jail. I have no idea what to do! I thought all debtors covered under my bankruptcy couldnt prosecute or sue me.. Please help
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 months ago.

For secured debts, you have the right to surrender the items and eliminate the debt, or you can pay the fair market value for the items either thru reaffirmation or redemption. The automatic stay is valid against any collection effort. You are talking about a criminal court date though, what was the crime?

Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 months ago.

criminal debts and restitution aren't necessarily dischargeable. Your attorney should reach out to the lender to help facilitate return of the items.

Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 months ago.

did you have any other questions? if not, please click accept and rate my answer 5 stars. thanks