How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2897
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18 Years bankruptcy experience. Member of the American Bankruptcy Institute.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed bankruptcy in Georgia and attended my hearing in Nov

Customer Question

Hi, I filed bankruptcy in Georgia and attended my hearing in Nov 2016. One of the creditors - a furniture company- had a citation issued in criminal court which I attended. I attempted to return the merchandise but the company representative would not accept it. I was told today I have to pay $4495.77 in restitution or go to jail. I have no idea what to do! I thought all debtors covered under my bankruptcy couldnt prosecute or sue me.. Please help
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 months ago.

For secured debts, you have the right to surrender the items and eliminate the debt, or you can pay the fair market value for the items either thru reaffirmation or redemption. The automatic stay is valid against any collection effort. You are talking about a criminal court date though, what was the crime?

Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 months ago.

criminal debts and restitution aren't necessarily dischargeable. Your attorney should reach out to the lender to help facilitate return of the items.

Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 months ago.

did you have any other questions? if not, please click accept and rate my answer 5 stars. thanks