Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can i sue the irs for having info about an irs identity

Customer Question
theft, paying the known theft...
can i sue the irs for having info about an irs identity theft, paying the known theft and making me jump through hoops not only that year but the following 2 years even though i have a pin #
JA: Well, we require $5 .
Customer: ok
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: pa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes, the morning it happened, h and r block and myself contacted tne irs to tell them, they said they would red flag it as i hadn't filed my return yet. 3 days later, they issued these people a check for over 8400.00 and made us wait 4 months for our money. made us wait again last year, actually had to get our house representative to help us get our return
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just want to know what we can do. we will have to wait again this year, jump thru hoops and we count on our refund. the 2014 tax return caused a hardship because we had to wait so long
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/4/2017
Lawyer: LawyerDavid, Attorney replied 10 months ago
LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Attorney

Hello: my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. You are describing what I would consider a violation of the Taxpayer Bill of Rights that can be reviewed here: https://www.irs.gov/taxpayer-bill-of-rights. You can sue the IRS in my opinion for the hardship that has been caused by their incompetence and violations of your rights. It can be an difficult and complicated process, however, as you might guess with most things with the IRS. Here is a link that explains what you can do to initiate a claim against the IRS for your consideration. http://www.reesnet.com/tax/planning/lvl03500.htm. You might also consider contacting this individual who may be able to assist you with your claim. http://www.reesnet.com/

I hope this helps! All the best, David

Cheri: I also want to point you to the IRS site on identify theft and way they claim to be trying to help. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/identity-protection.

I would review this as well and if the IRS has failed in your instances to do what they say they are going to do in instances of identify theft this will give you another basis to bring a claim. Thanks, David

LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Attorney