Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I used a debt solutions legal firm to "fight" my defaulted

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I used a debt solutions legal firm to "fight" my defaulted student loan. I was paying them $290/month, and they stated that this is their fee, and also they'd put the $ aside as a trust for the loans. That firm is now defunct as their email doesn't work, and their linkedin profile is gone. I wanted to know how I can get access the the trust set aside, and if they will charge me the $290/month. That amount was taken out of my account every month
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The firm is/was located in FL. I'm in NY/NJ
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. They did get the creditors to cease and desist calls/contacts. I just found out that the firm is now gone.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No...that is all. Thanks
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me the following about the firm:

Their name

Their address

Their email

Their website (if any)

Their phone number

This way, I can see what happened to it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Ely. The firm's name is ***** ***** The Website used to be www.bankinglawgroup.com. My one contact's name is***** at***@******.***. That email address doesn't work any longer. They're based in Boca Raton FL...they were.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.

Was it the Credit and Banking Law Group, P.A.?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that's the firm
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.

Thank you. One second, please...

Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.

The name suggests that the company was a corporation. However, a search of the Florida corporation database (HERE) shows that no such corporation ever existed. Furthermore, a search using the principal name listed with the BBB under the officer/registered agent option has no corporation come up, either.

In short, this was likely either a scam, or a poorly designed and misleading company pretending to be a business. Either way, I doubt that there was really ever a "trust" - they simply pocketed the money. I would consider filing a report with the police in Boca Raton who can investigate this matter further.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).