How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116707
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe back child support to the state of Alaska but my ex

Customer Question

I owe back child support to the state of Alaska but my ex wife died about 5 years ago all my children are over 30 years old and the state just froze my bank account how do I resolve this the sum I owe is $ 13,000.00
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: State of Alaska
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: on what
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the state of Alaska turned it over to the State of Texas, Texas says I owe $13,000.00 the state of Alaska Says I owe $ 19,000.00 the State of Alaska is the one that froze my account
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Back child support is owed to the estate of the parent who was supposed to receive the support when that parent dies. If your recipient parent has died, your children are heirs to the estate. So one of the children has to open probate on her estate (if not already done) and then the executor/administrator of the estate has to be appointed. Once an administrator is appointed then the administrator can file a motion to waive arrears on behalf of the estate and the two agencies will dismiss their claims and return any money taken. However, until you get their mother's estate to release the arrears by filing to waive them, they are still due to the estate and Alaska will not release their levy. So you must get an attorney where she died and your children need to get that estate open and the attorney can notify Alaska and Texas that the estate is waiving the claim, that is going to be the only way to release the claim by Alaska and Texas for arrears.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.