LawyerDavid
LawyerDavid, Attorney
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
95745447

Second opinion] What happens if i retained a lawyer and he

Customer Question

Second opinion] What happens if i retained a lawyer and he will not return my calls ? does he have to give me back the monies i payed him ?
Expert:  LawyerDavid replied 6 months ago.

Hello Marilyn: your question was originally for Tina so I hope it is okay that I respond and assist you. If the lawyer has not performed any work on your case he has to give back your money. If the lawyer will not return your calls, I suggest sending the lawyer a letter that demands your money be returned within 5 days. He will likely respond with an invoice showing time spent on your case which you can analyze for accuracy or he will return your money. If he does not respond within the 5 days I would suggest filing a small claims action against the lawyer assuming the amount you are owed is less that the statutory amount which is $5,000 in New York. However, I would expect the attorney to respond to a written request and you can plan your next action based on that response. I hope this helps. David