Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Approximately, April 2010 I came home from work to find I

Customer Question

Approximately, April 2010 I came home from work to find I had a break in. The police were called; a report was taken; neighbors were interviewed; and police dusted for fingerprints. I submitted a list of items taken and did follow-ups with a detective. No one was charged. I has been inferred to me by a neighbor that bounty hunters may have been to blame. I had told the detective, at that time, that my grown "step son" had recently come to live with me. And, that he had a past record. I checked with police and their was no warrant issued for him at the time of the break in. In a recent conversation, my neighbor reiterated that she thought bounty hunters came to my house back then. I have just found paperwork with his things for a bail bond office. I believe they broke into my house illegally. Why the police never uncovered this information, I do not know. My stepson was sent to jail in "2012". If my home was illegally breeched by bail bond personnel and it can be proven, do I have a valid case/lawsuit? Is there a statue of limitations, especially, when the perpetrators were not identified? I must have had a sorry detective assigned to my case.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: The state is Maryland. I am not sure when the warrant was issued. Sorry, for typing so slow, but one hand is broken. However, since I was aware of his past, I asked the police to check at that time. They said no and he told me no, too.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Only, my initial report of the break in. I believe the detective's name was Gamer....
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He was later arrested in relation to a warrant, but it was not issued at that time
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

The fact that there was paperwork found among your son's things indicating that he had bonded out may not be sufficient to establish anything more than the fact that your son had bonded out on his case. It does not have to mean that bounty hunters came into your home at any point, as it would not be irregular at all for your son to have a copy of the terms of his bond with which he would have been expected to comply. In fact, it would have been typical.

There would be no criminal statute of limitations on this crime in Maryland, so theoretically you could take what you have to the police and/or prosecutor and see if they would be willing to reopen your case. The civil statute of limitations was three years from the incident.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.