How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31735
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This about Custody of my Grand Daughter, No not yet, I have

Customer Question

This about Custody of my Grand Daughter
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have Custody of my Grand Daughter now the parents are getting ugly to me about getting her back
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

What circumstances caused the parents to lose custody to you?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There was a lot not giving medicine when needed father sleeping with a 13 year old but never charged there doing drugs this is on what has been told to us they moved 6 times and job hop. but now it getting ugly and they want her back texting non stop I do not answer them
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Ok. Thanks.

Do you have a court order giving you custody?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
but it joint custody I have her during the week and they get her every weekend. The first year they go months before getting her for there visitation. Now for the passed 6 months they have been getting her every weekend.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

The court's preference is certainly for the child to be with his/her parents. However, the parents must be capable of caring for the child and it must be evident that it is in the best interest of the child to be placed with the parents. Thus, if the mother and father are not competent, have issues with drugs, etc., the judge is not likely going to grant them custody back.

Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

That said, you cannot stop the parents from seeking custody back, but you can fight the request and provide evidence that the parents are not capable of caring for the child.

Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Related Legal Questions