AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
93913325

I ordered a credit report for my social security number and

I ordered a credit report for my social security number and it came in. There are accounts I don't recognize me ever opening. My question is that if my husband is also an account owner or user of those credit cards, will those credit cards show up on my report with my social?
Thank you!

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Those accounts should not show up under your social security number (if they are your husband's accounts), unless he indicated that you were a co-applicant or an authorized user, which he may have been able to do without your authorization. Of course, if he did that, it would be fraud unless you gave him permission to do that, or unless he has some type of legal authorization to do that (like having a power of attorney). Your best recourse is to dispute the accounts with the credit reporting bureaus and indicate that the accounts were set up without your authorization. Does that help?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi there, yes it does help. I was also wondering, on some I show up as an authorized user under "responsibility" which I understand but is an "individual" listed under "responsibility"?

I'm not sure I understand your question. But I'll try to explain a bit more. Normally, an "authorized user" is someone that the primary card holder authorizes to use the card. This person has not normally signed any contract that shows that they are responsible for the account, but they are authorized to spend on the account. Due to this, there are often times that the credit card company doesn't even have the social security number for an authorized user. If you are an authorized user, and you have not signed a document indicating you will be responsible for repayment of the account, there should not be a negative credit reporting.

On the other hand, a co-applicant is someone who applies for the card, or joins the account after it is established, and their credit report and social security number are used in the same way as the primary applicant to establish or maintain the account. This person, since they have signed a document indicating responsibility, would be responsible for repayment jointly with the co-applicant. Any negative credit reporting would and should show up against a co-applicant, assuming that they really did apply jointly, and that they signed the contract or authorized the application.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I understand that. I just need to know what the difference is between an authorized user and an individual. That is the difference between the responsibilities of the cards.

An "authorized user" is a term of art. It has a particular meaning when discussing credit card accounts. The term individual on the other hand, is not, and most likely means that it is an "individual account." Does that help at all?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
an individual on my report means that I am the only account holder/owner/user?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I found my answer already.
Thanks!

Thank you for using just answer, and I'd greatly appreciate if you could provide a positive rating. Thanks!