How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4088
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a sibling of a older brother who suddenly pass away in

Customer Question

i am a sibling of a older brother who suddenly pass away in Oregon and he lives in Washington. Do I have to pay for his cremation. He has received SSI all his life as he was mentally delayed. I have one older sister also. But I cant afford his cremation and my sister is unable also. We are both on Soc, Sec disabilty our selves. So I dont know what to do. The funeral
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, can you tell me where the company is registered?
Customer: whoops I have been told it will cost $1400.00\
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have spoken to the funeral home and given them my ifo and they want me to sign for his cremation but will also make me the one to pay for the cremation.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: there was a police report as he had died in a friends home.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont beleve so.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 8 months ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If you do not sign any documents accepting responsibility and do not accept the cremains then you can not be forced to pay for the cremation. If your brother was on public assistance and the cremains are not claimed then the State where he died will pay for the cremation. His remains will be placed in a County paupers cemetary.

If the Funeral home persuades you to sign you may be responsible so don't sign anything. If the funeral home harasses you you can file a complaint against them with the Washington state Board of Funeral Directors.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am to tell the funeral home I don't want his remains and don't sign anything right. I was going to spread his ashes with our Moms but I truly can'T afford it. He has a apt in Tacoma and should I send a letter to the manager , or don't say anything. I don't know the name of the apts. but I got the address from the funeral HOME AS TO WHERE HE LIVES.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 8 months ago.

If you do not sign for his cremains they will not give them to you. I am sorry. And they will not release them without payment.

I understand that is a very difficult choice for you to make. I do not know if there are programs available that would help you with the costs. I am sorry that I can not direct you to one.

As far as his apartment - you are not responsible for his rent, so there is no reason for you not to inform his landlord if you know who it is.

Kind regards,


Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 8 months ago.

You might try the Pierce County Community Action Program. This is a Tacoma based agency(###) ###-####