Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I just moved from an apartment that is in a privately owned

Customer Question

I just moved from an apartment that is in a privately owned four plex, where I lived for over ten years. My landlord is refusing to give me back my damage deposit and is constantly harassing me. I need to know if I should take her to small claims court or hire a lawyer? My last month living in the apartment was November.....and I received daily emails from the landlord, had to file police reports, it was horrible. I actually fainted three times on moving day because I hadn't eaten for days due to the stress and harassment from this landlord.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: I'm sorry, Washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have a couple of police reports on file. The police actually had to physically come to my apartment and escort the landlord away. I haven't filed anything yet....I have documentation and pictures to get together.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The landlord did several illegal actions during the month of November.
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Has the landlord sent you a written itemized list of deductions/damages that they are charging you for?

.

If so, how long after you moved out and returned the keys did you get it?

.

Did you ever file a formal harassment complaint with the police?

.

.

thanks