How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20393
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I co-signed a note for a home back in 2004.The party

Customer Question

I co-signed a note for a home back in 2004.The party involved and I broke up and he started to stalk me.I got an order for protection.He had his lawyer contact me.I f I would drop the restraining order,he would make the payments.I have a Court Document stating this.Well,over the years he has been late,not enough to cover.I have repeatedly had to call my lawyer to contact this person,to get him to make the payment.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Well he is back at it again,and my lawyer has sold his practice and is no longer practicing law.The loan is down to $7000.Everytime he misses a payment,my credit score is screwed.Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: HOw do I get him to just pay it off?
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Thank you!
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 9 months ago.


Thank you for the information and your question. If you have a court order that says this other party has to make the payments, then you will want to hire an attorney to file a motion for contempt of court and to compel him to comply. The court can find him in contempt and fine him or jail him temporarily. If he still does not pay, then you will need to start paying and then the court can enter an order of garnishment against him so that you can get any amount he was to pay taken from his wage earnings from his employer or his bank account.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to let me know you received my response and to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit from the Site for assisting you today. Thank you

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 9 months ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 3rd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.