Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was recently admitted into an emergency room because i had

Customer Question
contracted the stomach flu. i...
i was recently admitted into an emergency room because i had contracted the stomach flu. i was placed in a room where the bathroom floor had blood and the specimen table had urine rings from multiple sample spills. the floors were covered in filth and dirt. is there any sort of health code violation here?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: sorry wrong lawyer
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yeah i filed a complaint and took photos
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2017
Lawyer: Marc, Attorney at Law replied 10 months ago
Marc
Marc, Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Marc. I'm a licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.

Yuck! I hope the conditions of the ER didn't make you even more ill. And I hope you're feeling better.

In order to answer your question, I need to know what state you're in. Please let me know, and I'll get right back to you with my answer.

Thanks,

Marc

Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

what state is this in regards ***** *****?

Texas

Thank you; here are the relevant health codes; the county inspector can be notified of the condition. The hospital management may also be proactive if they are notified because most hospitals try to operate in a professional and sterile environment:

SUBCHAPTER B. NUISANCES AND GENERAL SANITATION

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/HS/htm/HS.341.htm

Sec. 341.011. NUISANCE. Each of the following is a public health nuisance:

(1) a condition or place that is a breeding place for flies and that is in a populous area;

(2) spoiled or diseased meats intended for human consumption;

(3) a restaurant, food market, bakery, other place of business, or vehicle in which food is prepared, packed, stored, transported, sold, or served to the public and that is not constantly maintained in a sanitary condition;

(4) a place, condition, or building controlled or operated by a state or local government agency that is not maintained in a sanitary condition;

(5) sewage, human excreta, wastewater, garbage, or other organic wastes deposited, stored, discharged, or exposed in such a way as to be a potential instrument or medium in disease transmission to a person or between persons;

(6) a vehicle or container that is used to transport garbage, human excreta, or other organic material and that is defective and allows leakage or spilling of contents;

(7) a collection of water in which mosquitoes are breeding in the limits of a municipality or a collection of water that is a breeding area for mosquitoes that can transmit diseases regardless of the collection's location other than a location or property where activities meeting the definition of Section 11.002(12)(A), Water Code, occur;

(8) a condition that may be proven to injuriously affect the public health and that may directly or indirectly result from the operations of a bone boiling or fat rendering plant, tallow or soap works, or other similar establishment;

(9) a place or condition harboring rats in a populous area;

(10) the presence of ectoparasites, including bedbugs, lice, and mites, suspected to be disease carriers in a place in which sleeping accommodations are offered to the public;

(11) the maintenance of an open surface privy or an overflowing septic tank so that the contents may be accessible to flies; and

(12) an object, place, or condition that is a possible and probable medium of disease transmission to or between humans.

Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 678, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1989. Amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 130, Sec. 1, eff. May 27, 2003.

Amended by:

Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 346 (H.B. 819), Sec. 1, eff. June 9, 2015.

Sec. 341.012. ABATEMENT OF NUISANCE. (a) A person shall abate a public health nuisance existing in or on a place the person possesses as soon as the person knows that the nuisance exists.

(b) A local health authority who receives information and proof that a public health nuisance exists in the local health authority's jurisdiction shall issue a written notice ordering the abatement of the nuisance to any person responsible for the nuisance. The local health authority shall at the same time send a copy of the notice to the local municipal, county, or district attorney.

(c) The notice must specify the nature of the public health nuisance and designate a reasonable time within which the nuisance must be abated.

(d) If the public health nuisance is not abated within the time specified by the notice, the local health authority shall notify the prosecuting attorney who received the copy of the original notice. The prosecuting attorney:

(1) shall immediately institute proceedings to abate the public health nuisance; or

(2) request the attorney general to institute the proceedings or provide assistance in the prosecution of the proceedings, including participation as an assistant prosecutor when appointed by the prosecuting attorney.

Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 678, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1989. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 648, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1993.

Sec. 341.013. GARBAGE, REFUSE, AND OTHER WASTE. (a) Premises occupied or used as residences or for business or pleasure shall be kept in a sanitary condition.

(b) Kitchen waste, laundry waste, or sewage may not be allowed to accumulate in, discharge into, or flow into a public place, gutter, street, or highway.

(c) Waste products, offal, polluting material, spent chemicals, liquors, brines, garbage, rubbish, refuse, used tires, or other waste of any kind may not be stored, deposited, or disposed of in a manner that may cause the pollution of the surrounding land, the contamination of groundwater or surface water, or the breeding of insects or rodents.

(d) A person using or permitting the use of land as a public dump shall provide for the covering or incineration of all animal or vegetable matter deposited on the land and for the disposition of other waste materials and rubbish to eliminate the possibility that those materials and rubbish might be a breeding place for insects or rodents.

(e) A person may not permit vacant or abandoned property owned or controlled by the person to be in a condition that will create a public health nuisance or other condition prejudicial to the public health.

Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 678, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1989.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.
Thanks!

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer