How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116791
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Someone forged my name on a letter to the city of oh .tax

Customer Question

someone forged my name on a letter to the city of Mason oh .tax dept. stating that i give up my claim of a credit . the amount was only 63.00
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i just found out about this today
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i call the mason police dept. a filed a report
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is the question you have for us? All you have done is filed the police report for the forgery?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

If all you have done is filed a police report, your next step is you need to contact the tax department and provide them the police report number and inform them that the document was forged and you did not sign it. They will ask you to send them a notarized affidavit stating you did not sign the form and that any such waiver is invalid and you can write that yourself and take it to a notary and get it signed and submit that to the tax department.

From there, you need to wait to see what the police find as to whether or not they find who did this to determine if there is other legal action you can take. For $63 it does not make economic sense to get an attorney involved at this point.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.