LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer
Experience:  General practitioner with diverse legal experience.
60109343

Does having a AZ medical marijuna license mean I can not own

Customer Question

Does having a AZ medical marijuna license mean I can not own guns? Get a hunting license? Do I need to sell the guns I own?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. As I said I have an AZ Medical Marijuna License. I was recently told by a friend that I can no longer own guns. I need to know if I need to sell my guns or terminate my Medical Marijuna License.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have not used my guns for a few years. At 73 I can not use a shot gun with causing pain, and not longer have the stamina for hunting anyway, but I do not want to sell my collection of guns at fire sale prices.
Expert:  LegalPro54 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

There was a recent federal court judicial opinion which held that you cannot purchase a gun if you have an active medical marijuana card. However, the ruling does not prohibit gun ownership. It's not as though the day you get a medical marijuana card you need to turn over all your guns. It simply prohibits you from purchasing more guns while your medical marijuana card is active. The ruling is very clear on this point, stating as follows: "Wilson may purchase firearms before acquiring or after surrendering a registry card." See here to read the full judicial opinion if it interests you.

In short, the current state of the law prohibits people who have current medical marijuana cards from purchasing guns, but does not require such individuals to turn over the guns they already own.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.