How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19132
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thanks. I became mentally ill as a result of losing a family

Customer Question

Thanks. I became mentally ill as a result of losing a family member and could not maintain regular hours at a job. Though I had some money to live on during my illness, nonetheless, the money ran out and I could not pay the mortgage. It has been delinquent for sometime and is now in foreclosure. Fortunately, through the help of family, friends and my own determination, I managed to bounce back and find a full time job. I am again working and building up resources, though my home is still in foreclosure. It is only valued at $75,000 and legally is still in the name of my sister, who passed away. As the home does not have value, I have been able to avoid eviction, but that won't last forever. I am aware of options such as: Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure and Short Sale. But as I am again working, are you aware of any Federal Assistance programs I might look into to assist me with getting the payments reduced? I checked out Harp, but they said as I was in foreclosure, that they could not help me. My question: Are you aware of any options I might have to avoid foreclosure? As I am working again, I am not making much so I am looking for some program or something that might help me to get back in good with the mortgage company, if possible. Thank you!
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties. My deepest sympathies for your loss.

You may try Chapter 13 bankruptcy to work out payment arrangement with the lender.

There should be legal services organization in your area that could assist you in filing for bankruptcy for free. Also, most bankruptcy Courts have pro se clinics that assist unrepresented filers with their Petitions.

Best wishes,