Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

When I was extremely ill and recovering from heart surgery,

Customer Question

When I was extremely ill and recovering from heart surgery, a stoke and being immobilized for over three months we ordered life alert because I would be along for a portion of my day and could barely walk. Unbelievably, I have recovered a lot and no longer feel the need for life alert or for the additional financial burden I no longer need. I have read several items that say the Life Alert will not allow cancellation even when their three year contract has been completed. I have had the service for approximately a year and a half. What can I do?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I live in California. I have not even requested cancellation because I read that they wont let you cancel.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have a signed contract with them for 3 years, then you cannot cancel the contract. You need to read the terms of your written contract with them, because that is the sole purpose of using written contracts, to bind people to the agreements that they make. So, if you signed the contract and it says there is no cancellation clause in there, you have to continue to pay for the service for the remaining time on the contract.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.