How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27585
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a straigtening brush at the fashionmall. The sales

Customer Question

I bought a straigtening brush at the fashionmall. The sales lady who claims to be a stylist made me sit at the chair saying she will do my hair and made a demo about the product. She said that the product does not burn the skin but when I touched it my ring finger got burned. I still bought the product because I really need it because if my hair.
My issue is that when i gave her my visa credit card she said it was declined and so she swiped it for several times. The product costs 274.32 for two products. She charged 100 in my card and asked another card this time mastercard for the remaining 174.32 so i gave her another card.
When I came home. The visa card bank called and informed me that it was charged 150 instead of 100..
And to make it worst the product which I bought only cost 60$ at target and she sold it to me for 2x the price.
Please help me what action to do
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Did you obtain a receipt from her, for the two transactions? Also, do you know what their return policy is?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do have. The receipt provides that there is no refund only exchange
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

If you have a receipt and its different then what was charged and this was done after the fact, you can dispute the charge with your credit card company and provide them a copy of the receipt, showing what was authorized and what you agreed to pay. You should win that dispute if agreed to pay X and that was what was charged and signed for and they charged you Y. Now, as far as the cost of what they charged and what target charged, that is going to be tough to prevail on, since as a consumer, you do need and want to shop around for the best price and did not have to agree to buy this item, if you did not want to. I know it is not ideal but if there were no exchanges or refunds, it is going to be hard to get them to take this back.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How about the injury i incurred?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Did she advise you to touch it? What was the extent of the burn? Did you need medical attention?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She was demonstrating it that it was safe and will not burn the skin and she was touching it herself. And so i touched it too but my finger burned
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Thank you. If you were injured and incurred medical costs, you could make a demand that they pay for your bills. It is odd that she would say it was safe and touch it and then you got burned, but if that happened, you can demand to be compensated for any costs incurred, as a result.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I cannot remember if ahe said I can touch it. My finger was badly burned since it had blisters. My sister is a doctor and so She was the one who advised me to put it in the water. I bouht a bandaid to wrap it
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

You could demand to be compensated for the bandage. Now, if she did not tell you to touch it and you did so on your own, then it may negate your claim but the truth of the matter is that a blister will not amount to any money being recovered.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have no recourse what so ever against them even if they charged the me 150 instead of 100?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Yes, you do. As I shared you can call your credit card company and dispute the charge. Show them the pair receipt and advise you did nothing authorize or agree to this charge and they can correct it and may find in your favor.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!