Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

My husband got married in Ethiopia January 2015. He said it

Customer Question

Hello, Im Maria... My husband got married in Ethiopia January 2015. He said it over between them and now I found out he is having an affair again and asking the new woman to marry him. He is right now in Egypt with our 6 yr old son. My question is can he reallly just marry overseas even we are married here in the US? Will I still be able to get my son when he decides to marry and live with his new wife in Egypt?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing has been filed and reported. I am in Michigan.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I cannot think of any as of now.. but I really want to inquire about the marriages overseas and my son.
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and my goal is to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

If you and your husband have not been divorced than any subsequent marriage or marriages occurring abroad, even if allowed under the laws of the country where he marries, would not be recognized under US law. They would be considered bigamous and void under US law, without an intervening dissolution.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

I will make an offer for a phone call.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!