How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31786
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have cancer and I will start my radiation soon ,however

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I have cancer and I will start my radiation soon ,however few days ago I had an incident with my husband which result it on him getting arrested an getting a restraing order so the court date is in one month, can his lawyer ask the judge to change the date because of my health issues ?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: ny 3 days ago
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: a police report for domestic violence and then he got arrested and apublic defender got him out but he has a restraining order and we have a court day in a month he admit it that he hit me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Your husband's lawyer is likely able to request and get a continuance for a few weeks/thirty days.....but not because of your health issues. The request for continuance would be for some reason related to your husband or his lawyer -- such as a need for more time to prepare for the hearing, etc. Usually, courts only give one continuance to each side.

However, if a continuance is granted, the judge should also continue the restraining order.