How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41027
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have court in two weeks for child support was living with

Customer Question

i have court in two weeks for child support was living with my girlfriend for 17 yr non married and i begain she someone else and she found out do i need a lawyer to go to court. and what are some of my legal right here if any i know i was the one that made the bad move.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: kansas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes have court papers
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.

You either need to appear yourself or retain a lawyer.You may want to call the other lawyer and see if you can resolve child support.The court would just set the amount you must pay here based on income.IF you have any doubt the kid is yours you can demand a dna test here.

Here below is a calculator that would give you an idea of what you owe.I would consider trying to resolve this as support here would be until age 18 or high school graduation so you don't have a long term commitment .

Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.

Under Kansas law, child support is required until a minor child reaches the age of 18 or graduates from high school, whichever is later. On the first day of the month prior to the child's eighteenth birthday, a Certification of School Attendance Form is mailed to the custodial parent. Upon completion of the form, if the child graduated prior to the eighteenth birthday or has dropped out of high school, the child will be emancipated (dropped from the child support order) at the end of the payment cycle for that period.

The Kansas school year runs from July 1st until June 30th. If the child is still in high school on his/her eighteenth birthday, in most cases child support will continue until June 30th of that year.

I would call her lawyer and try to agree upon an amount as you can see this is short term, the legal fees are almost as much as the amount you will pay for the next year or so.You should be able to resolve child support here and do an agreed order.It is worth trying here.Use the calculator and offer this amount to the other lawyer to see if you can agree.Last resort here go to court and have the judge set it.Again it is short term payments for a year or so.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.

Court uses this software, you can do free trial and calculate here too and average with the other calculator should be pretty close to what you owe here.