Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I was angry and I slapped someone last night. This person

Customer Question

I was angry and I slapped someone last night. This person had been harassing me in many ways through out the year and I would just ignore it. It just got to the point that I wasn't able to control myself so when I saw them I slapped them. They said they would press charges and I'd like to know what the consequences are
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Calif
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No i don't believe so
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I did apologize to the person and well obviously they were mad I understand but they. Started to harass me like they had been during the year
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 9 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

The penalties for California battery in most cases include a fine of up to two thousand dollars ($2,000) and/or up to six (6) months in county jail. As a first time offender, the State may only seek a probationary sentence and no jail time, especially if there was no injury suffered. I know and understand you were upset about the harassment but unless you were physically defending yourself against them, it is not a legal defense to slap them as a result of this harassment.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!