Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My son has student loan judgement against him in Minnesota.

Customer Question

My son has student loan judgement against him in Minnesota. I gifted him money to buy a small lot for him to build, as he's an unemployed carpenter. This lot was purchased in county B. The judgements against him are in county A. Unfortunately, county B turned down his building plans and he decided to sell the lot. He sold the lot and has yet to receive his money in his account. We suspect that county A has seized the money. Do we have any legal rights here??
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: a As it relates to what? Don't quite understand, sorry.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The amount of money seized was $9,200.00
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if you gifted him the money, the land is his and the money from the sale is his. If he has a judgment against him, then county A can seize the proceeds from the sale if they choose to do so and you would not have any claims as you already gave him the money and it is not your money it is his money and his judgment. He can try to file to object to the seizure of the money, but if he does not have any dispute over the debt he does not have a legal basis for objection I am sorry to say.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What would constitute a " Dispute "?
Thank you for your reply.

A dispute would mean he has a legal reason why he does not owe the money or why he should not have to repay it.