How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118658
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother has been in Blount County Jail in Maryville, TN

Customer Question

My brother has been in Blount County Jail in Maryville, TN since Oct. 7,2016. He got involved with a woman that had several boyfriends. He is 54 years old and not in very good health. One of the boyfriends has beaten u
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: him pretty bad two different times. Plus her 25 or so son went in where he was staying and beat him pretty bad while he was asleep. All in approximately the same time period. My brother pulled a knife and cut the older person in self defense. This guy had him knocked out when the police got there. They ask the other man, his girlfriend, and a friend of hers who had started it. Of Course since they were all together, they said my brother. On Christmas night, I got a call from an inmate that is in with my brother. Someone that I don't know. He stated that he was worried about Shan. That for over 2 weeks, he had not been able to hold anything, he was stumbling and falling. He has been talking to people that are not there and seeing things. I called the jail at 10:00 and was told the nurse was passing meds. I called until after 12 before the nurse called me back. He wasn't very nice. You could tell that he wasn't concerned. He started telling me his creditionals as a nurse, which I wasn't interested since I am a RN. I am only concerned about my brother. We didn't get anywhere that night, so I called again the next day. I spoke to another nurse. She said that she would check Shan out. I drove to the jail. Only to be told that I couldnt see Shan and was really treated as if I had done something wrong. I went to the car and without leaving, called the adm. offices. The lady said she would have the supervisor come out and talk with me. About 15 minutes later, a policeman pulled up behind me, I was expecting him to run me off or try to charge me with something. He was very nice, but not very understandable. He tried to tell me that Shan was coming down from something. I told him that it would not take 2 months if he had taken anything. Shan is an alcoholic and he has been known to use up prescribed medication. Most his is smoking marijuana. I did get visitation privileges for this past Weds. When I seen Shan, he could not keep the phone up to his ear, his hand would slide down to see face. He thought his shoes and clothes were in a building behind the jail. He wasn't sure where he was. My concern is that I am afraid he has encephalopathy or a brain bleed that can be very dangerous, if not treated. The hospital is across the street from the jail. I was told that the dr would see him, if he came in this week. Please help
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Tennessee
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that I have told all that I know. I am just really worried about him and I don't have the money to get an attorney. I have a family of my own and at this time just make ends meet.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Is that the advise? I do need to get a lawyer?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, you need to get him a lawyer and you need to get the lawyer to go to court and get a court order for a medical and mental health examination based on his bizarre behavior. The jail is supposed to provide him basic medical care and if they are not properly caring for him, this is a violation of his 8th Amendment Right against cruel and unusual punishment. The attorney can file for an emergency ex parte order based on what you observed and get the court to order him to be taken for an examination immediately.
Also, if suffers any harm as a result of this failure to provide for his rights and give him basic medical care, your brother has a right to sue for this violation of his civil rights and seek monetary compensation.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.