Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My question is...if you cosign for a mortgage on a property

Customer Question
Hi my question is...if you...
Hi my question is...if you cosign for a mortgage on a property do you have rights to that property even if you are not on the deed?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm sure the refinanced mortgage has
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
12/31/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Loren, Attorney

I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and my goal is to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

No, a mortgage co-signor, without inclusion on the deed, has no ownership rights, whatsoever. One must be on the deed or a beneficiary of a trust owning real estate to have title.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Did you have further questions? I am happy to continue if you do.

Have I answered your question?

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney