Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I opened a box containing meth in front of detectives. My

Customer Question
roomate consented to search of...
I opened a box containing meth in front of detectives. My roomate consented to search of house, as I did I. Non-related to meth paraphenalia was seized (pot, jewelry didital scales and 2 old crack pipes) Nothing meth related was found. I was not arrested. I was given a citation. I did not know there were drugs in the package. The sender claims, my husband, claims he did not sent them.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: this is not real estate
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I was assigned a public defender. The prosecutor claims this is a highly unusual case.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
12/31/2016
Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions? I just want to make sure that I understand what legal information you are seeking. Thank you.

what are the consequences of opening a box in front of detectives that contained loose bags of meth. My roomate consented to search of his house and they went downstairs in my private area and found pot-related paraphenalia and pot.
The box and contents were not seized just the meth. I was not arrested although the citation says I was. There was no meth related paraphenalia found.

Hi again.

Q: what are the consequences of opening a box in front of detectives that contained loose bags of meth.

A: The police could investigate, determine who it believes owned the meth, and then charge that person with possession. It's possible that the police will believe that the meth belonged to you, though it's also possible that the police will determine it belonged to somebody else. But the bot***** *****ne is that the worst case scenario is that you could be charged. If that happens, then you should retain an attorney immediately. Also, even if you are not charged, you should not talk to the police without a lawyer present, since the police will likely be talking to you for the purpose of obtaining incriminating statements against you.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney