FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
89910983

In February 2015 my childhood friend loaned me $6500 9she

Customer Question

In February 2015 my childhood friend loaned me $6500 9she was not married at the time), so far I have paid half ($3250) back: $1000 in June, $500 in August, $500 in September, $250 in October, $500 in November and $500 today. He new husband (august 2016) called me and told me I have two weeks to finish paying him. I told him I do not have it and he told me to sell my car (2007 Lincoln MKX which my Mother left me when she died in 2014). I live in Florida, can he force me to sell my only tramsportation?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that the original agreement I made with my childhood friend was that I would pay her as soon as I could.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Yes
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.

I'm really sorry you're going through this. That's terrible. Does your friend realize that the husband is putting the "squeeze" on you like this? That's a terrible thing to do. I'm sure she's not part of it but it's just sad, really and I'm sorry that he's doing this to you.

If there is no written documentation for when you have to pay the loan back, the answer is no, you don't have to sell your car, nor do you have to accelerate payment and pay them now. The agreement was to pay when you could and that's what you've been doing. I wouldn't talk to this guy whatsoever. He's not part of the agreement you had with your friend.

If the husband is going to treat you like this, you may have to talk to your friend on your own time, when the husband is not around.

You need the car for transportation, it is a necessity and he can't make you sell it. There is no written agreement making you pay right away, in two weeks, so pay when you can, just as you said you would. I would stay away from this guy. He's looking to control you so don't let him.

Does this answer your question?

Please let me know if you need any more information, such as where to find an attorney in your area, or anything else related to this question.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars) and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

Best of luck to you!

Happy New Year! Have a great new year and don't worry about this guy. You had an agreement with your friend, not with him. Be well!

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you or if there is any more information that you need. Thanks!

Customer/p>