Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I W, I have a fiancé that is currently incarcerated in Miami

Customer Question
I my name is*****: What...
I my name is*****: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have a fiancé that is currently incarcerated in Miami Correctional Facility they have refused to give him mail and his packages in a timely manner how do I go about getting this situation handled ? They are telling us it takes 4-6 weeks after delivery to facility to get to inmate..am I correct by saying this is a fed. case when it comes to mail?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: he keeps submitting grievances and request with no reply. he has been without hygiene for about 3weeks now
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they also are refusing his Quran
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
12/30/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

It could be either a federal or a state case, although the federal court would normally be where people pursue it along with any other civil rights issues such as denying him a Quran.

It isn't unusual for there to be a delay in getting mail to an inmate/offender since it has to be opened and inspected. Obviously that takes longer at some times than it does others but I've never seen it take 4-6 weeks.

As to hygiene products, I've never seen any law on that but I do know that it can be withheld if his unit is on lockdown, if he is in solitary, etc.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney