Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I W, I have a fiancé that is currently incarcerated in Miami

Customer Question

I my name is*****: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have a fiancé that is currently incarcerated in Miami Correctional Facility they have refused to give him mail and his packages in a timely manner how do I go about getting this situation handled ? They are telling us it takes 4-6 weeks after delivery to facility to get to inmate..am I correct by saying this is a fed. case when it comes to mail?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: he keeps submitting grievances and request with no reply. he has been without hygiene for about 3weeks now
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they also are refusing his Quran
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

It could be either a federal or a state case, although the federal court would normally be where people pursue it along with any other civil rights issues such as denying him a Quran.

It isn't unusual for there to be a delay in getting mail to an inmate/offender since it has to be opened and inspected. Obviously that takes longer at some times than it does others but I've never seen it take 4-6 weeks.

As to hygiene products, I've never seen any law on that but I do know that it can be withheld if his unit is on lockdown, if he is in solitary, etc.