How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1503
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Legal Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im about to turn 17 and there is a lot of emotional problems

Customer Question

im about to turn 17 and there is a lot of emotional problems at home with me and i want to leave it al behind and start a new life please tell me there is a way i live in south carolina
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: soutch carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no because dont get me wrong they are very loving but i cant handle it anymore sometimes they are okay other times its like nobody likes anyone i sometimes feel at fault
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes i turn 17 in april and my older sister wants to take me in because she went through the same thing and i have a good job and earn money legally
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law, appeals, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute, type your answer and then I’ll be right back. I promise I haven’t disappeared but am working on your answer.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

You may know this because of your sister but there is no specific emancipation laws in your state. There's no statute for emancipation of minors. South Carolina doesn’t have an emancipation statute that specifies an emancipation process. However, it’s possible to petition the juvenile court to get yourself legally emancipated.

You would have to show several things -- that you have the ability to be self-supporting, so your good job is going to be important. You have to show that you have a place to live (your sister's) and you will want to show that your sister went through the same thing which will help when you explain that there are emotional issues at home.

You may want to wait till you're 17, but you don't necessarily have to if you're mature and have a good, steady job. It may be more easily granted if you're 17 than 16, so that's why I'm suggesting that. In many states, a 17 yr old is more easily emancipated than a 16 yr old. While your state doesn't have a statute, it's just a suggestion. If you want to become emancipated now, then you will need to show pay stubs, show how you're doing in school unless you dropped out (and if you didn't, I would suggest you stay in school because it will matter later on). You can file a petition at the juvenile court in your county and then the court will likely schedule a hearing for you.

You can do this yourself and if indeed you can do this yourself, and argue in your own behalf, you show the judge that you are mature and that you can handle this tough issue yourself.

Is there anything else you need or want to know about this?

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

I'm so sorry you're going through this but there is hope, especially because your sister went through this and because you have a place to live.

Please let me know if you need any more information, such as where to find an attorney in your area, or anything else related to this question.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars) and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

Best of luck to you!

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 9 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you or if there is any more information that you need. Thanks!