How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27211
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about asking to continue my court date,

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question about asking to continue my court date, for the second time. I was at court last month for a suspended license ticket and asked to delay my court date until I got a lawyer. My issue is that I had some unforeseen financial issues in the past month and can no longer afford an attorney. Will it be possible to ask for more time to get an attorney?
JA: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I hav'nt filed or reported anything myself
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

In a situation like this, you can ask the Judge to continue the matter again. You need to show good cause and explain what happened that prevented you from retaining legal counsel and share with the Judge, how much more time you need. You need to be forward with the Judge and share what will allow you to retain counsel, so they do not think you are acting in bad faith and just trying to delay this.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, thanks. So My best bet is to explain my financial situation to the judge and ask for another month of continuance?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Yes, that is correct. Explain the hardship that occurred which was not expected and share with the Judge that you will be able to afford counsel in the next 30 days and simply need additional time.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated Thank you.