How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8775
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tina,, I live in Bowie, Maryland, I tried to file for social

Customer Question

Hi Tina,
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hi Pearl, My name is***** live in Bowie, Maryland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I tried to file for social security survivor benefits from husbands social security. I recently retired from the Federal Government woth 42 years of service.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I tried to get the survivor benefits, I was told that I made $200 more from my husband's social security, but that I can fight to get the monthly survivor check. Can you help out.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid Tina has not been around for several months.

Why is SSA denying you the survivor benefits? Are they reducing your SS based on your federal government pension under the windfall elimination provision?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, they said that the offset was $200. Meaning bring home $200 more than my husband. I explained to them that my husband died December 30, 2014 from cancer. Social Security told me that was be eligible to receive my husbands benefits after turned 60 years old. I turned 60 June of 2016. I had a conference call with social security in September. After taking my information they came back to tell me that I could not receive the benefits. Social Security told me that I could press the issues.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You can only appeal their denial if you know the reason for their denial of benefits. So you need to tell us why they are saying you cannot receive the benefits.