Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

If a hypothetical child is planning on running away from

Customer Question

If a hypothetical child is planning on running away from home due to feeling unsafe, what can be done to assist them in this hypothetical situation.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nj
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes. There is a closed case from dyfus
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not think so.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 8 months ago.

Good evening. The consequences to the adult helping or encouraging the child runaway from home depend on the specifics of the circumstances behind the runaway and what kind of help/encouragement is provided, but the biggest potential danger for the helping adult is the potential of being charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. I say that it's the "biggest", but that's not to say that the danger is big. The circumstances behind the help are considered and (for example) law enforcement would rather a child get help than die in the street because someone was fearful that they could be charged with contributing to delinquency of a minor. If you would like to discuss particulars, please let me know--I have to keep the answer somewhat general without more details.

Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please feel free to leave a rating once you are finished (it does not cost anything extra to do so and it is the only way I may be credited for my answers.) Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Good evening. We have a hypothetical situation, which will be all hypothetical from this point on.

Thank you. I apologize for asking, but I presume that you saw my previous answer? Ultimately, a minor child is not permitted to run away from his/her legal guardian, so helping the child to do so would generally constitute contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Circumstances can be mitigating, but that should be the main legal concern of anyone contemplating offering such help.