How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19291
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son's girlfriend borrowed his car and hit someone. She

Customer Question

My son's girlfriend borrowed his car and hit someone. She was not listed on my policy. We are waiting to see if my insurance will cover the other vehicles. If they do not, who is held responsible, the girlfriend or me? The car is in my name.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Tennessee. Yes there was an accident report and we notifieed our insurance.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the insurance is requesting her to send proof of residentcy.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

If she does not live at your residence, the insurance may cover it since you are not required to put a non-household member on your insurance policy.

If the insurance does not cover the damages, you would be ultimately responsible. However, you can sue the girlfriend to recover the amount you paid.

Best wishes,