How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've owed back child support since 2001 but made Payments.

Customer Question

I've owed back child support since 2001 but made
Payments. In 2003 my ex husband and his new wife relinquished custody of my daughter to the state of Colo. signing over my parental rights without my knowledge. I was notified to pay 5000.00 for the foster parents.(which I did). August 2016, my ex husband forgave the remaining balance owed (roughly 10,000.00) In October, Family Registry sent me a bill for 3,500.00, stating it is what is owed to the foster family. The payment ledger they sent to me doesn't show the $5000.00 payment and states they usually add what is owed to the state on the end of the amount due. Am I responsible for this amount?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
First, if you paid the $5000, you should receive credit for that payment. Second, even though you paid the $5000, if there was a balance of interest or payment due to the foster family, your ex could not forgive that amount and the state has to provide you documentation of where that payment is going and what it is for, but if they provide you that documentation, then you do indeed owe the money to the state and are liable to pay it to them.
You need to ask the state for an itemized accounting and you need to provide them proof you paid the $5000 to them to make sure it is properly credited against your account.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately, all of my paperwork was destroyed when my house burned down. Also when my ex relinquished parental rights his new wife relinquished my rights (acting as me). Since we had joint custody and I had given him residential custodian did that relinquish my parental rights? Shouldn't he have to pay 1/2 at least?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
He should not have to pay half if this is part of the arrears fees that you owed, such as the interest or collection fees. If it is fees since he gave the child up for adoption and relinquished his rights, then he would be liable for his own fees. However, you will have to pay them if you have no proof of what you paid already and cannot get the records from your bank.