How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If she disappears, can she be served? Or if she refuses to

Customer Question

If she disappears, can she be served? Or if she refuses to comply with the order and does it anyway what do we do
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, it looks like this question may have originally been for a different attorney, but he is not available currently and it's unknown when he might return. I'm glad to pick up where he left off. Would it be ok if I stepped in?

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 10 months ago.

I'll go ahead and answer, and you're invited to ask me to disengage if you don't want to continue working with me. Restraining orders require personal service, so she could theoretically avoid service by disappearing. But it's difficult to avoid a restraining order for very long -- if she quits her job, moves to another city, cuts contact with her friends and family, she could theoretically go "off the grid", but that's a pretty extreme reaction for something as minor as a restraining order. I won't say it can't happen, but people can usually avoid service for only a few a days at most.

​Failure to comply with a restraining order is a criminal offense. She can be arrested and incarcerated for non-compliance.

Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please feel free to leave a rating once you are finished (it does not cost anything extra to do so and it is the only way I may be credited for my answers. ) Thank you!