How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102181
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm the plaintiff and the dependent has 30 days to respond,

Customer Question

I'm the plaintiff and the dependent has 30 days to respond, but did not respond, what is the best thing to do, for him to respond.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: pittsburg, ca.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes, he didn't even show up in court.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: is there a fee, a
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: okey
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If the Defendant has not responded in the time allotted, the Plaintiff has the option of filing for a default judgment. So someone in your situation may then with to file a Motion for Default Judgment. If the Court grants it, you'd win the case before any trial is even necessary. It would be the equivalent of his team failing to show up for the game - default win for your side.

So you cannot make him answer, but can file for a default judgment and get whatever you ask of the Court.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!