Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My alma mater issued a no trespass order against after I was

crying and complaining about my...
My alma mater issued a no trespass order against after I was crying and complaining about my perceived poor career services, graduate education, and my late father's medical treatment at their hospital. I have anxiety.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Washington, DC
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The university sent me a no trespass letter the day I had my anxiety attack in their office. About ten days ago, I received an email from their security office basically repeating their order, and then about four days later I received another notice of similar language from the same person.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Has the university violated any state or federal laws, i.e. ADA Title II or III, 504 of the ADA 1973, or Education Article II for the State of Maryland? I feel as though the university discriminated against me because of my disability, and has retaliated, intimidated and harassed me because I filed a complaint with their HR office about a week before my last meeting the career counselor because I felt their office provided poor services.
11/29/2016
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I cannot comment on your specific case, but generally, a university does have legal right to issue a trespass warning to any person, even if such person has disability as defined under the ADA and unfortunately, generally, there would not be any legal recourse for a person against whom trespass warning has been issued and if the person subject to trespass warning attempts to enter university property again, after the trespass warning has been issued, the person would be subject to an arrest fort trespass.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and good luck!

Thank you for your answer. I have not attempted to enter the university since the initial request to leave was issued. I should add that an administrator came into the office where I was meeting the career counselor and told me to leave, but gave me their business card and said once I composed myself, I was welcome back. Three days later I received the no trespass order. I don't understand what happened?

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, the University does have the legal right to review any incident / situation that might have been disruptive or concerning to the University and then to issue a trespass warning at any point.

Generally, the only way to have the trespass warning cancelled, is to file a written appeal with the university administration and they will review the entire situation and will decide whether to remove / cancel the trespass warning.

I wish you the best of luck!

is filing a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights, Department of Education or the Maryland Higher Education Commission a waste of time and energy?
Thank you for letting me know. Any advice, if the university rescinds the trespass order?

Thank you for your follow up.

I cannot tell you what to do in your specific case, but generally, complaints can be filed with all type of government agencies, in most cases, such complaints would not yield any desirable results under similar circumstances.

Generally, if the university cancels trespass warning, then it would make sense to make sure that any type that the person against whom the trespass warning was cancelled, to act calmly and civilly, without any extreme emotional behavior while on campus grounds, so similar situation can be avoided in the future.

I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you for your advice!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law