How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116780
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 82 years old and retired. For the last two years my

Customer Question

I am 82 years old and retired. For the last two years my Social Security payments have been reduced because of the increase of my IRS reported adjusted gross income. Some of that was a dissolution of a limited partnership. This is not an on-going source of income. Do I have any grounds to dispute the reduction of my Social Security payment?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Texas. No, I have just received the notice of my 2017 S.S. amount.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

First off, as you are beyond the maximum SS age, your SS benefits should not be reduced for any income you make. Furthermore, even if you were not at the maximum age, passive income (money from not doing work for compensation, so investments or return on investments or rental income) would not reduce your SS. You need to file an appeal to SS and you need to have your tax accountant or preparer assist you to show the income is passive and also that you are beyond the maximum age so you have no earnings cap and seek a refund of the money.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.