Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I engaged Century Link to provide a of services. This was

I engaged Century Link to...
I engaged Century Link to provide a bundle of services. This was done by phone, with the understanding that they needed a two year commitment to cover the fiber-optic installation.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Two weeks ago, near the end of the contract period, I made a change and was informed that they could extend the contract two more years. When I asked for a copy of this contract, I was told that they did not have to give one as no written contract is in their system. Is it legal in Nevada to have what they referred to as an open contract?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I called the State Attorney General's office for a referral and talked to three other departments
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: . They did not have any jurisdiction over Century Link and their open contracts. I also talked to the office that supposedly approves franchise licenses in Clark county and they were no help. I just want a copy of the contract before terminating Century Link and ruining my credit rating. Thank you
11/28/2016
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.
Two weeks ago, near the end of the contract period, I made a change and was informed that they could extend the contract two more years. When I asked for a copy of this contract, I was told that they did not have to give one as no written contract is in their system. Is it legal in Nevada to have what they referred to as an open contract? Was the change you made what prompted the alleged extension?

The Attorney General's Office said they had no jurisdiction. Not producing the contract is a scam in and of itself. Can you tell me if you filed with the Federal Trade Commission or the FCC?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not with the FTC, just the State level and the Clark County Franchise Comission. Does not fall under any of these agencies.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not know if the extension kicked in, I was advised that it might under certain conditions. I cut back on the service to reduce the cost from $230 to $140 per month. Their agent was so vague that I then asked for the contract.

I am sure they were vague.

The Federal agency that has jurisdiction over them is the FCC

You will file a complaint with the FCC at https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

The FTC will take your complaint at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

You will want to demand a copy of your alleged contract in writing by sending a certified letter return receipt requested to the corporate HQ of Centurylink. This will be proof that you requested a copy of your contract which you are entitled to receive. Give me a moment to provide you wit the address.

As far as the Attorney General is concerned, they are the top law enforcement official in the State and are tasked with consumer protection. They can certainly assist a consumer residing on the State with a consumer protection issue I am sorry that they were not more helpful.

CenturyLink, Inc.*****br />Monroe, LA 71203

Make sure you get the agent's name the next time you talk to them, if you talk to them. I can provide you with a local Attorney that provides FREE consultations if that would be helpful as well.

Are you still with me?

Thank you for using JA. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

Please ignore the additional services request. Thank you.

The Attorneys do not receive credit for their work on the site if the customer does not rate us poitively, so I hope you were happy with my service. You do not need to provide a negative rating for a refund.

We appreciate you business!

Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney