Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am seeking help regarding the tow of my vehicle by a

Customer Question
company that is charging mt...
I am seeking help regarding the tow of my vehicle by a company that is charging mt 1500 dollars for one hour of service when they only spent less than an hour. Their max hourly rate for the most severe job is 275 per hour. When I called 45 mins after the jeep was back at their garage they told me it was !500 dollars. The reason is still uncertain as to why they are charging this rate, they said it was because they damaged their exhaust system, although they then admitted they cant charge me for something their or my insurance would cover. Once I told them that charging me for their equipment is essentially "double dipping" they said it is still 1500 dollars. I have asked for access to the jeep and have been denied, which I have found in Pa state law is illegal, and also have still not received an invoice to itemize the reasons I am being charged this outrageous amount. I feel like I am being extorted, I have no loan on a jeep that is worth 14,000 dollars and therefore do not carry full coverage. My thoughts are that they saw a new vehicle and assumed that it was financed and therefore had full coverage insurance on it. The reason I speculate this is because the first question the owner asked is "Do you have full coverage, because it wont cost you anything out of pocket" , and once I said no she had no way of changing the cost without outright showing the fraudulent practices. Please get back to me(###) ###-####or(###) ###-#### My name is***** ...Also I called 3 other tow companies within a 6 mile radius and their max price for the same like event would not reach the 200 dollar mark. There has got to be something I can do, they can not arbitrarily set a price and not justify the amount. please telll me they can not extort this money from me
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: pa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The state trooper documented that it was removed from the mud under one hour
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is documented also the trooper is aware they wont let me in the jeep and is calling them to grant access but she isnt complying
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
11/28/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me:

1) Why did they have to tow it - were you in an accident, or, what exactly happened? Did you call them and pick them, or, did they show up at the scene? It sounds like you called them, but I want to be sure.

2) How do you know that this was under an hour? I mean - did you follow them all the way from the time the driver began their work to the time that the vehicle was unloaded at its destination?

3) WHO has the vehicle now?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Hello! I plan to log off soon and am just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!
Tina, Lawyer