Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was granted $37,000. from NY Rising after my home was

Customer Question
destroyed in 2012 from Superstorm...
I was granted $37,000. from NY Rising after my home was destroyed in 2012 from Superstorm Sandy. They now want repayment in full. I don't have it to pay back. I'm not sure how to handle this. I'm trying to figure this out. I have sent them all the information about my case but they say I have to pay it all back.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NY
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I only sent them a statement of why I felt I shouldn't feel I should have to pay it back. I also asked for extension. My time is up and I am now asked to send my tax info for the last two years and all my financials to see if I qualify for a payment plan. It's due. I am afraid to forward all this and sign anything. I don't feel I should have to pay this back. I gave them all my information before they gave me the money?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I'm not sure what to do?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2016
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 12 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Which agency provided the money? What is the basis for the request for reimbursement? Was money used for the purpose intended?

I used the money to help restore my home. I was offered a SBA loan but I didn't close on it because my insurance payment came through. SBA told me to apply to NY Rising for additional help if I needed it.
What is the total that I will be charged for this? How long will I be able to speak to the legal expert?
Ok so is there any legal advice for me?
How little no dies it take to get an answer?
I feel uneasy about this. Please don't charge my card. I would rather go see a lawyer in person. I'm not sure how this works.
Hello? Is anyone there? I need confirmation that I will not be charged since I did not get any legal advice.

I am not set up for phone calls at the moment; would you like to continue on this page? There will not be a phone call charge since the request was declined.

Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 12 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Phone call session started
Tina, Lawyer