Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am a parent of a 35 yr. old TBI patient. I am not only his

Customer Question
father but also his personal...
I am a parent of a 35 yr. old TBI patient. I am not only his father but also his personal representative under SSA and SSI and his medicare and Medicaid has always come under my social security since 2009 when I became disabled. Recently his medication (topomax) of 20 years became non-therapeutic and roll him into a deep depression. I had to admit him to a local hospital in Livonia, MI by being taken by our local police department because of violent and distructive behavior. This was Thanksgiving Day and the officer informed me that I had 72 hrs. to follow up with the Livonia Hospital. The Hospital took it upon themselves to discharge my son, and have taken away my family's right to disclose his location under the HIPAA Law. I have always had access to his records with his primary care physician and neurophysiologist. My civil rights have been usurped and more than likely my handicapped or otherwise impaired son. I feel like I live in Nazi Germany and son went to the concentration and no longer has his family to advocate for him. With the holiday weekend I have not been able to contact any of his three physician, the third, his psychiatrist at Lincoln Behavioral Center. Robert is epileptic and could have seizures without his proper medication. He left his home with his pair of pajamas, pair of socks and shoes. The hospital with my paperwork and the citing of the law still denied our family access to Robert's whereabouts. None of my family members have slept over the past three days. No one is denying Robert needs help, but his family has the right to know where Robert is and what kind of care he is receiving. This was probably an involuntary intake of my son without the consultation of his physicians and his family.
JA: No, you can ask a one off question to try things out. Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: My name is ****** *. *********. My phone is(###) ###-#### My address is ***** ****, *******, ** *****. My email is***@******.***
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean? Be more specific?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Legal
11/28/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 12 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Are you his court ordered legal guardian or do you have a notarized Power of Attorney form for him? Not just that you are his payee for SS.
Tina, Lawyer