How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an ongoing problem with the Office of Personel

Customer Question

I am Mr. John ************. I have an ongoing problem with the Office of Personel Management (0PM) and a final determination. Briefly, after I retired in November 2010, I was receiving my monthly pension of $2,271. This was fine for me. However, 9 months later in late August 2011, I received a call from OPM. Then the nightmare begins. My revised pension was reduced by $934, or 63% and I am paying back to OPM the alleged overpayment. OPM has never issued a final determination. I am now living on my social security and reduced pension. I have no assets and am below the poverty line. This is wrong!
I need to file a law suit in the Federal Court of Appeals.
Can you help me?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
FYI, during the mid 80s and 90s, I was a licensed CPA. After being a Federal agent for the IRS, my life changed dramatically. I lived on the Upper west side of Manhattan. Then an opportunity came that I couldn't pass up. I was sent to Washington DC as a tax law specialist. I was a speaker at numerous annual meetings of the AICPA. I was well known in tax circles for my knowledge of Taxation of estates and trusts. This is a poor boy who grew up in the Northside of Chicago. It was very corrupt back in the 60s and 70s and still is. I left in the mid 70s and never looked as I moved to NYC. I worked hard to get an M.S. in Taxation at Long Island University in Brooklyn. Doors opened for me as I had a very good resume. I truly believe that I have a viable case and need your assistance.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid state laws forbid any attorney on this site from engaging in representation, you would need to engage a local attorney near you or one in DC if you are going through the court of federal claims to pursue your appeal and you can find one at the same sites used by other attorneys, or
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I apologize again as I have tremors on the right side of my body.(2/2)benifits under combined CSRS/FERS. The initial payments included included my(1/2)I apologize for the earlier version was not complete. I worked for 22 years at IRS. I retired on 10 November 2010 and applied for my pensionI was a Tax Law Special who worked for IRS. I left the agency after worked for 22I am a Federal retiree having worked for 22 at IRS(2/2)Phoenix AZ as I am disabled. ilPlease call me @***-***-****(1/2)I need to file a lawsuit against OPM in the Federal Court of Appeals in Phoenix. I spent 22 years. working for IRS. I need an attorney inI have a serious issue with OPM relating tpI need to find an attorney in Phoenix AZ. The issue is the failure
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You can find a local attorney at the same sites used by other attorneys, or

We cannot represent you and we do not make personal referrals to remain unbiased in our answers to customers.